Monday, March 4, 2013

When you follow your HEART you will find that there is only ONE WAY



One of the best decisions after choosing to go to the University of Illinois has always been joining Sigma Kappa. It is shaped my life in so many ways that I can't even begin to explain. It was what I was looking for in college, a second family. The ladies I have met and have come to call my sorority sisters are now the most important people in my life and could not imagine being without them. They have always been there for me, encouraging me to do better, and have been an inspiration to me as well. 

What does it mean to be an active member in your sorority? To me, it's more than just participating in the required events, workshops or retreats. It's more than making the required amount of points each month. It's the things you do that don't show up on paper. Being an active member is not only a benefit to your chapter, but to you as well. It's making the friendships that last a lifetime. It's having weekly coffee dates with one of your sisters. It's living with one of your sisters outside of living in your sorority house. Being an active member is doing something not because you have to but because you want to.

Last school year I became really sick that I ended up missing school for two weeks. I have never felt so much love and support from my sorority than I did during that time. It was during recruitment time that I missed so you could only image my disappointment from not being able to participate. I got daily texts and Facebook posts from my friends saying how much I was missed and updating me on everything that was going on in recruitment. It was at that moment that I came to realize that I was more than just a name or a face in the chapter, I was an important member of a sorority that has changed my life. And I couldn't ask for anything more. 

"And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them and of their children after them" -Jeremiah 32:39





the observant turtle

Follow Whitney of The Observant Turtle and Autumn of The Unreal Life to read other amazing stories shared about their sororities and experiences!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! Happy Badge Day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up Lauren! The love of your sisters is seriously amazing, isn't it? I'm so glad to hear that you had such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I found your blog through the link-up! My (biological) sister is a Sigma Kappa from Purdue University, and it really does sound like a great organization. SK colonized at my university the year after I graduated; I really wish I had been around to support it and watch it grow!

    ReplyDelete