Thursday, October 2, 2014

DIY Alabama Burlap Wreath

Two crafts, two weeks in a row, look at me! Sorry but I just can't help myself, and I'm still in the process of making the apartment pretty. Probably will keep going on for a few more weeks.

I have been itching to make a wreath but had no idea how to do it. I'm a visual learner and can't work off of just words. So I thought I would visually show how to make the one I chose, to help those out :). Especially with the type of wreath that I bought from Michael's, a lot of people use those wire ones but I couldn't find a tutorial on the type that I bought. Next one I make, and there will be a next, I'll be getting that fancy wire wreath that every tutorial uses.

Anyways! Here you go, my own Alabama burlap wreath.


Supplies:
 - 4in wide Celebrate It Occasions Red burlap ribbon
 - 2 rolls of 4in wide Celebrate It Occasions Tan burlap ribbon
 - Houndstooth ribbon (I bought it in Alabama, because I figured there would be a surplus there)
 - Black wooden letter "A"
 - Wire wreath (commons attached with pipe cleaners)
 - Hot glue gun and glue sticks
 - Scissors

Wrap the end of the burlap around the wire and tie with pipe cleaner

Make a loop at the bottom and feed the ribbon through the wire to make another loop. Do this about 2 or 3 times until the section between wires are full.

And fluff :)

This is the bottom wire filled all the way around. I ended up using the full roll of one of the tan burlap. I had one section on the bottom wire leftover and started with the second tan burlap roll and transferred it up to the top wire.

I ran out of the second roll so I had that huge space you see up above. So at that point I needed to have a huge bow on top of it to cover it up. I also wrapped some of the houndstooth ribbon around it so it would attach better.

For the red burlap ribbon, I used the pipe cleaners to attach them. I made them nice and poofy to give it some more volume.

Ain't the bow pretty? Sorry I didn't really do a how-to on how to do that. Kinda hard to do when you need both hands. With a little assistance of some hot glue, there you go.

I'm putting it on the back of the door because I don't want anyone to steal it. Not that it's anything special but, I still want to be safe.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great DIY!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculously cute! And you just managed to make me super excited for the holidays, which I hope get here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay even though I"m not a bama fan, I have to say that wreath is absolutely adorable! I'm so impressed that you made it yourself! too cute and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wreath even though I'm not an Alabama fan :) You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete