Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Gone Girl

All of last week while in Missouri, I spent reading Gone Girl. I was especially enjoying the fall weather that they had and reading on my Kindle with a cold Shocktop (Honey Crisp Apple Wheat!) sitting in my lounge chair. It was absolutely perfect. And how I spent basically a portion of every day.

I was super excited to read Gone Girl. Especially since it was made into a big movie because, duh.

Question, am I the only one that imagines the characters in the book as the movie characters? Or makes up my own imagination of what they would look like? I'm sure I'm not but it was definitely on par imaging Ben Affleck as Nick Dunne.
First, here is the summary of Gone Girl that can be found on Amazon:
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

Sorry if I'm about to ruin this book for your or if you haven't seen the movie. But I just have to share! Trust me you will still be surprised once you do read it.

I am trying to describe this book in one word. But I just can't. Because there we're so many feelings that I had at every single point of this book. It definitely kept me hooked which is so important in any book you read. And it was super long, which I did not expect.

But all I have to say, is Amy should definitely be committed. Like full blown psychotic.

Who in the hell frames their husband for your murder just to teach him a lesson about treating you better?? If you want to teach your husband a lesson, then divorce him, or go to therapy like a normal married couple. Don't try to set him up for murder!! Especially your own. Or don't try to turn all of your closest friends or old boyfriends against you and try to ruin their lives. Nobody should be that evil and conniving.

Also, Nick, he's kinda a tool bag. I won't lie. For cheating on his wife, being selfish, and plain old not caring about the fact that his wife was missing and/or murdered. I'll admit I almost thought that he actually might've murdered Amy and he had multiple personalities or something. Some reason that would explain why he wouldn't remember killing his wife.

I applaud Gillian Flynn. This book was so well written. And for writing two different points of view of the story and keeping all of her readers so hooked with the storyline. It's absolutely incredible. I don't know how it would've been if the book was only written in Nick's point of view. It might've been just as good. But including Amy's voice and her diary too, it was outstanding and incredibly thought out.

If you haven't read this book yet, even if you've already seen the movie, I highly highly HIGHLY recommend it. Or if you have, read it again! Because we all know that we secretly love re-reading our favorite books over and over.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book but kept thinking that it was so dark and twisted. I can't wait to s ee the movie....just need to find the time! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book was SO good, and so was the movie! My husband and I went to see the movie last weekend. I've started my review of the two, but it didn't fit into my editorial calendar for a few more weeks. The whole thing was so twisted! I think Flynn's greatest talent is writing two utterly despicable characters who are still utterly compelling.

    ReplyDelete