Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Chili & Corn Bread

I find it a little ironic that the day that I want to share an extra warm recipe that half of the country is under snow and 49 out of the 50 states are at below freezing temperatures. Anyone else think so?? Okay, maybe just me.

I decided last week that I wanted to attempt to make homemade chili and cornbread. So when I perused through Pinterest to find the best one I discovered that everyone kinda does their own thing. Whether it be a family recipe, minimal ingredients, cookoff-winning, spicy, thicker or a little watered down chili. So then I just decided to combine them all and kinda come up with my own! And it turned out to be fantastic and I got the thumbs up approval from the husband which is huge in my book :)

 photo chilincorn2.png
My own Chili recipe:
  - 2 pounds of ground beef
  - 3 strips of bacon
  - 1 medium onion chopped
  - 2 cloves of garlic chopped
  - 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
  - 3 tablespoons of chili powder
  - 1/2 cup of creamed corn
  - 3 - 10oz cans of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chile
  - 1 - 16oz can of Kidney beans
  - 1 - 150z can of Black beans
  - 1/3 cup of tomato sauce
  - 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
  - 1 teaspoon of salt
  - 1/2 cup of water

Brown ground beef with onion and garlic over medium heat. Drain grease and add to the larger pot (trust me, you will need a very large pot) with beans, Rotel, creamed corn, and tomato sauce over medium heat. Add cumin, chili powder, crushed red pepper, salt and water. Cook to boil, simmer to low and cover till thickened.

Pour into your bowls and garnish with sour cream, cheddar cheese, crackers, or tortilla chips!
  photo chilincorn3.png

Corn Bread recipe from Home of Malones:
  - 1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix
  - 1/2 cup of sour cream
  - 2 eggs, beaten
  - 1/4 cup of melted butter or margarine
  - 1 teaspoon of salt
  - 1 cup of creamed corn

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and pour mix into muffin pan (greased or muffin filters). Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 12 muffins.

Let cool before serving.

If you like a little moisture and creamy to your corn bread, this one is definitely for you!
  photo chilincorn15.png
Guys, you will not be disappointed with either of these recipes. I had a lot left over and probably will be eating it for the next few days for lunch (eating it while I'm writing this up and still good the next day!). I would say the only thing I would do differently is do 2 cans of Rotel instead of 3. Well, that was Blake's suggestion anyways. But you can not go wrong with however way you decide to whip this baby up. I promise. I'm still grinning ear to ear about how amazing this turned out :)

 photo postsign2.png

5 comments:

  1. Oh my word... I was craving chili all week-- this might just be the impetus to make some!!!And cornbread is one of my favourite things ever!

    XO sarita it's my girls' world

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, perfect for this weather!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so great, I was wanting chili today so I went to Wendy's instead of making mt own. This looks so much better. Thanks for sharing,

    Tiffany
    www.themommyglow.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Perfect recipe for this time of year, and I loooove corn bread! Can you believe it's even cold in Florida?! We were in the 40's today and are dropping to the 30's overnight :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wondered what's in chilli. It's not something you see a lot of in Australia. I might have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete