Thursday, November 6, 2014

If I Stay

I might lose some friends after this. But I have to speak my mind after reading the ever so popular book If I Stay. Spoiler alert: I did not care for it at all.
Summary from Amazon:
In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, this will change the way you look at life, love, and family. Now a major motion picture starring Chloe Grace Moretz, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

I'll admit I had kinda high expectations for this book because everyone raved about it so much and it was made into a movie. You would think that books that turned into movies were very successful in print; like Dear John, The Hunger Games, and I'm hoping 50 Shades of Grey.

I thought it was a little strange that each 'chapter' you could say was identified with the time of the day, kinda to identify what was happening during that time. I get it. Especially when she went into the coma after the accident to show how long she was in it. Fine. But it's not exactly my taste. I'm kinda old school where each chapter is depicted as "Chapter #"

There we're some very romantic worded areas throughout the book that I loved. The wording was beautiful and the writing as well. And then there were spots that we're very stale and I was hoping for the time segment to be over.

As I haven't seen the movie yet, I'm seriously hoping the movie is wayyyyy better than the book. The book just seemed a little predictable for me and I was hoping for it be written more romantically and bring me to tears. Which it didn't.

Others might not agree with me and think that it was an amazing book. But it just wasn't for me.
Also, book related, my never ending list of books to read has reached 145 books. I might have a problem of wanting to read everything. And wanting to re-read my old favorites. I'll put blame on my designated Pinterest board.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm...I am going to have to locate this at my library or ask one of my friends to let me borrow their copy (if they have one)... Great review. Happy Thursday, Lauren :)

    www.lovecompassionatelee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this book and no wonder you had high expectations because of the Twilight books I loved them but the films in my eyes were no good. I hate it when your reading a book and become bored I always start skimming over the words and not really reading or taking it in then I have to re-read the whole page. I like to be captivated by a book. The summary however sounds appealing to me and it would something I would download to read. I really don't think that the 50 shades of gray movie is going to be as good as the book though. I always enjoy the books much more . Great post and I love a HONEST post rather than just pretending to like everything you review xox

    http://rainbowsandunicorns27.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only ever have about 5 books on my to-read list. Way to be ambitious!

    ReplyDelete