Monday, January 19, 2015

DIY Sharpie Coffee Mugs

Hello all!

This year for Christmas was the year of DIY. And one of the gifts we're the infamous sharpie coffee mugs that we see all over Pinterest. Since my sister is an avid coffee drinker, I decided to try it out and obviously had to make myself one too!

What you need:
  - Ceramic mug from Dollar Store or local convenience store
  - Oil-Based Sharpie or DecoColor Opaque Paint Marker

I cannot stress this enough: YOU MUST USE OIL-BASED SHARPIES!!!

It is the only way all of your hard work won't wipe away after first use 


After applying your design onto your coffee mug: place in the oven on a cooking sheet and turn oven on to 375 degrees for 40 minutes.

After the timer goes off: turn oven off and leave mugs in until they have completely cooled off!


I ended up having to cook and go over the designs on the mugs twice just to make sure that it would stand over time and not rub off at all. Of course you don't have to do that but that was my preference.

Also, if you tend to mess up at all, I found that you can use nail polish remover and a Q-tip cleans up any mistakes really well! I would use a Kleenex to gently wipe over it so, you know, it doesn't catch on fire or anything. 


And I finally got to pick up my Keurig from JCP that I got for Christmas and christened it this weekend :) Hey, I'm finally a member of the cool coffee drinkers club! Yay me!

 photo postsign2.png

9 comments:

  1. The monogrammed one is my favorite--looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Such a neat idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine made me one of these for Christmas this year!! I loved it. Such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've already said this, but these are adorable! I hope you'll link up with us over at Motivational Monday! http://makingitinthemitten.blogspot.com/2015/01/motivational-monday-january-18th.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this!! I just got some new white mugs and I've been thinking of doing something similar. I did this for my brother and his wife for their wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again for linking up with us on Motivational Monday! It was great having you join the party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, thank you for sharing this. I can't wait to do this project with our daughter!

    ReplyDelete