Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Giver

I love a good repeater book. And one of the books I was super excited to read was The Giver!

I remember reading this lovely thing in 6th grade and even when I read it again, I was remembering what I loved about it so much all over again! It was like listening to my favorite throwback of the 90s (which is Backstreet Boys in case you were wondering).
Jonas is the main character and lives in a community centered out simplicity: where everything is the same and you have to express how you're feeling in simple terms that always have an explanation. He becomes a twelve and has to become a contributing member of his community. He is assigned as the new Receiver where he is the receiver of all memories before the community became encased in 'Sameness.'

I can understand why a community would want to live in 'Sameness.' You don't have to experience feelings or emotions; you live in simplicity. But we need feelings and emotions in our lives; sure it makes life complicated. But it also makes live joyful and wonderful.

Jonas will now live with all of the memories of the world: color, pain, happiness, weather. Everything that makes the world beautiful and scary, will all be living with Jonas.

After one of the memories Jonas receives is about death and their Ceremony of Release. Everyone else has no idea what actually occurs in this ceremony. But Jonas is the only one that does and decides to finally make a change. He runs away. Past the farthest line of  the community where all of the memories will return to back to the population. Where they have no idea to react to all of the emotions that occurred before Sameness.

I actually had to read the ending a few times over just to make sure I didn't miss anything. And to be honest I'm still confused about what occurred. It's just a strange way to end a huge journey and all of the questions just keep coming. I feel like I'm back in 6th grade again having to write reports about all of the "what ifs" that happened at the end.

Fun fact: for those who didn't know, like me, The Giver is actually a four book series! My review of Gathering Blue will be next week :)

 photo postsign2.png

7 comments:

  1. I read this in 6th grade too, and maybe one time since, but I dont remember it all clearly, so I definitely could read it again. Maybe I will! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've read this book aboutttt... 15 times since my first time in elementary school -- that's how much I love it. But I had NO idea it was part of a series until about a month ago, so I guess the sequels are now on my to-read list :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much remember nothing about this book but it's in my kindle to read again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book a couple months ago as well and I to did not realize it was part of the series! I was so confused at the ending and now it makes sense and I will have to read the next few in the series! It was still really good book but yeah the ending was very abrupt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book a super long time ago, like in middle school. But I'm interested to read it again. Weird you just posted this because we were just talking about The Giver on Tuesday. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that JK Rowling quote! it's perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that book in school too like forever ago and I remember loving it. It's a movie now too! Did you see it? I need to re-read it. Well I need to start reading in general, but I'll add it to the list ;)

    ReplyDelete