Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie

I'd like to think I'm getting super good at this cooking thing. Who knew food would taste so good if it didn't come out of a box!

I think now we only eat maybe one box meal a week. And mostly that is hamburger helper because I can never say no to hamburger helper. Especially when it's on sale.

I've been trying to get a little ambitious in the past few weeks with trying two new Pinterest meals instead of one because I feel like I know what I'm doing now. I might as well go on and win Iron Chef while I'm at it. Kidding.
Next to my Chili and BBQ Chicken Pizza, this is another favorite of mine and will definitely be a repeater in our kitchen. It also gets special praise because Blake took one bite and said it was amazing rather than the normal "it's okay."

The husband is hard to please. So I chalk that one up as a win.

Recipe from Smells Like Home
 - 1 1/2 TBS vegetable oil
 - 1 medium onion, chopped
 - 5 baby carrots cut crosswise
 - 2 sticks of celery, cut crosswisse
 - 4 TBS unsalted butter
 - 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
 - 3/4 cups milk
 - 2 cups chicken broth
 - 1 cup shredded chicken
 - 1/2 cup frozen peas
 - salt and pepper to taste
 - 5 large butter biscuits
 - cheddar cheese
 
To make the filling:
Preheat oven to 400. Heat medium pot and add oil. Once oil is hot, add onions, carrots, and celery, saute for 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to bowl with shredded chicken.
 
Add butter to same medium size pot. Once butter is melted, add flour and cook while stirring for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and chicken broth. Let sauce come to a simmer and simmer for 1 minute until thickens. Add vegetables and chicken to the pot and stir until filling is combined. Add in peas and stir for 1 minute. If the filling is too thick (mine was), then add extra chicken broth but only 1/4 cup at a time until the filling is loosened up enough to your liking.
 
Pour filling into a 4x4 pan baking dish. I used aluminum because it was left over and I also am only cooking for two people. Bake for 18 minutes. Add biscuits to the top and back for an additional 10-12 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top for some extra cheesy goodness.
This was actually one of my favorites to make. I obviously cut the original recipe in half because there was no need for me to cook something that served 8 people. I also realized after I cut all of the vegetables that I only ended up needing half of that as well.

Live and learn right! I like to keep it real around here.
You should really add this recipe to your rotation! Especially while it's cold enough to be comforting and while some of you are snowed in up north :)

 photo postsign2.png

8 comments:

  1. So I've never had chicken pot pie before but this look incredible!! I know my husband would devour it too!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man chicken pot pie is one of my favorite meals and this one looks SO good! I just want all the comfort food right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a win to me! I'm a sucker for chicken pot pie! (Ooops accidentally deleted the previous comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm that looks so good! Perfect for cold nights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've never tried making this myself, but you just inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This might make another great recipe for me to share with Boatman for his lunches. I'm confused as to what the biscuits are though. In Australia biscuits are like cookies.

    ReplyDelete