Thursday, March 12, 2015

DIY Chalkboard Picture Frame

I got another crafting project done for my home!

Seems only natural to keep adding decor to my apartment when I'm going to be moving in 3 weeks.

But I've been seeing alll ovverrr (mostly Pinterest) all of the chalkboard picture frames that I knew that I needed it in my life. The only problem was that I didn't really know how to go about finding/making one.

The only way I know how to try things out without any sort of instruction is to just wing it myself! Basically how all of my crafts come out :)
What you need:
  - 11x14' frame
  - Black chalk paint
  - White chalk
  - Chalk markers
  - Selected color for frame
I've actually had this frame for about a month now so I was a pretty big slacker on actually putting this project in motion.

To start I painted the glass white first just for a base - really I was experimenting. After I did about four coats of the black chalkboard paint. Alternating between painting vertical and horizontal style.
The paint bottle instructed me to wait 24 hours for it to completely dry. After it is fully dried, you rub the chalkboard surface with a piece of chalk to condition the surface.

At this point is when a couple of spots got knicked, so I had to add some more chalkboard paint to those areas.

After conditioning the chalkboard surface, you can wipe it away with water and cloth.
I wanted something that was super springy and happy for the new season coming in. The fact that it had been gloomy and rainy the past few days definitely influenced that as well - I used this print as my inspiration for my first chalkboard message

The chalkboard markers are easily removed with a water and washcloth for a new design! I can't wait to change it out with each season and incorporate it for every holiday :)

 photo postsign2.png

14 comments:

  1. Love this and I love the picture/sign you created!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, you did such a great job on the frame and the message! I might need to make one of these for my gallery wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT tutorial! love it all!!! thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I have been wanting to make one of these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a super cute tutorial, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing I love most about this is that you can do any color! Thanks for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so fun! I want one for my house now! I love how you picked a bright border color and your picture on the board is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so, so cute! I love this idea. Although I feel like I would never be able to do as cute of chalk art as you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute idea!!! I love it and I love your first drawing on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the cutest thing ever! I think I know what my weekend project will be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable!
    I would love for you to stop by my blog and share this on our Something to Talk About link party that starts today :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! The frame color is so pretty, and I love your chalkboard art! Thanks for sharing with us at Motivational Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete