Thursday, November 19, 2015

Not That Kind of Girl

Let me tell y'all, it is so good to get back into reading again.

Not only that, I love recapping on the books I've read. You want to know the last time I reviewed a book? It was Yes Please and it was back in February! Like, seriously? And that was basically the last book I've read period up until a few weeks ago when I finally got my new library card.

Speaking of libraries. They're awesome. Let's just throw that out there. Simply because I have a To Read list that is currently 150 books long and there's probably even more than that I'm not accounting for.

But libraries - I get to borrow the books, both paper and electronically through my Kindle, and decide if they're actually worth buying and adding to my personal library. Not to mention books get really pricey and add up pretty quickly.

Anyways, let's go back to last night. We're doing our potty break rounds with the boys. I have to take each one of them out individually since I don't have a yard. I had already taken out Gordon and Harley and was taking Collins out, I come back and my new book I just got from the library that day Not That Kind of Girl is in pieces all over the floor. And I had hid it from Gordon because he's tried to get a nibble on it earlier that day. Apparently I hadn't hid it well enough because Gordon sniffed it out like the evil little detective mutt he is.

Luckily, I guess, he chewed up the first 100 pages of the book and I had already read that part so he left me the pages of where I have left off. Swell guy right? He's so considerate that Gordon.

But now I have to go back to the library tomorrow and hopefully not break out in tears in the process saying that my 6 month old mutt ruined their book. Should be fun right?


There's this girl, Lena Dunham. She has given us an insider look about events throughout her life and what she has "learned" Ergo the front cover of her book.

I've seen a lot of other bloggers rave of this book and have it on the To Read list for 2015. But, I just didn't know how I would feel about it.

For starters, I didn't know who Lena Dunham was/is. Still don't after reading all about her life. I didn't know if this was going to be funny like Amy Poehler's or very serious. Or I guess there's just there. She writes about her life stories and it's kind of a mixture. Some funny, some serious, and some just there.

Nonfiction books are always a little tricky and have become a new interest of mine. I did enjoy Lena Dunham's book! I was very partial to all of her stories that include lists and when she discussed dieting. Maybe because I'm personally going through it and having to track all of my foods. She even said at the end of the chapter that sometimes you just need to eat all of the foods, and that is okay.

"I thought I would marry my boyfriend and grow old and sick with him. I thought I would keep my friends, and we'd make different, new memories. None of that happened. Better things happened. Then why am I so sad?"


 photo postsign2.png

9 comments:

  1. I haven't read a book in forever (except for a LOT of children's books)! I do the love the library though and look forward to the day that I can sit down long enough to actually get through one whole page of an adult book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the great post! I'm an English teacher, so I do a lot of British Lit reading, but I'm making an effort to find time to read for fun, too. I'm reading Orphan Train right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer! So sorry that your dog chewed up the library book. I'm always afraid my kids will do the same thing. I love the show Girls, so I've been wanting to read this book. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got back into reading this year and realized how much I missed it. This sounds interesting but confusing at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did that book on audiobook & couldn't finish it... I wanted to like it but couldnt even force myself to

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book seems awesome! The kind which lets you to think...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book has been on my reading list for a while now. I'll have to download it and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read this book.
    It's on my list along with a plethora of others.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to read this book too, but felt a little skeptical. I am right there with you with my long list of to-read books!

    ReplyDelete